Address: 205 – 1865 Marine Drive, West Vancouver, BC
The North Shore Schizophrenia Society is a peer support organization, helping families whose relatives are struggling with a serious mental illness. Trained family volunteers provide counseling, information, education, advocacy and ongoing support in both the North Shore and Sea to Sky corridor. Despite its name, the society covers all serious mental illnesses, including schizophrenia, bipolar disorder and depression.
- Family Support Centre – The core of the service, located at the address above, where you can drop by or call any weekday from 9:30am to 5pm and talk to one of their volunteers. Peer support through one-on-one meetings can also be arranged .
- Family Support Groups meet monthly in West Vancouver and Squamish for family members to get together and talk about their experiences, how to cope, or just gather strength.
- Peer support and counselling, 1-on-1 support offered in-person or on the phone to provide family members with information and explanations of the illnesses, what to expect, advice and recommendations for working with the system.
- Family-to-Family Education Course – A 12-session course to help family members gain the knowledge and skills to cope more effectively with their mentally ill relatives.
- … as well as social events, para-legal support and a lecture series.